12/8/08

No Longer "The Worlds Greatest Newspaper"

One spends the majority of their adult life building something. Throws their heart and soul into it. Wither it is following a dream, or realizing an invention brought to life, or as was my case, taking what was a regional metropolitan (daily) paper and turning it into literally the voice of the Midwest. A voice recognized world wide.

The Chicago Tribune: "the Worlds Greatest Newspaper".

Now it seems, like myself, she may soon be laid to rest. My child is dying, so it would seem, by it's on volition. Some may point to poor choices made by management (since my demise, of course). Others, to the rising costs of running and producing a paper in this electronic day and age. I tend to think it is more along the lines of this:

When an institution, noted for it's conservative nature (let alone it's staunchly conservative roots), looses sight of this, floating ever more to the left in editorial philosophy and in the content of it's "news". It is no small wonder that is shall wither and die. What is so very sad is having it done by it's own hand.

Case in point; "The Chicago Tribune Endorses Barack Obama".

Never has a more telling stake been driven into ones heart then this. That my progeny has fallen so far from where I left her less then 55 years ago....

There are no mere words with which to express the pain ... the loss ... and so

I remain, spinning ever faster,

The Col.

No comments: